Re: Politics: Strict Guidelines Considered Harmful

From: Kynn Bartlett <kynn-edapta@idyllmtn.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 09:13:21 -0800
To: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>, w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
At 1:02 PM +0000 12/16/00, David Woolley wrote:
>The real problem I see is that the guidelines are not precisely enough
>worded to avoid legal disputes.

I give hearty "hear, hear" to this.

The WCAG document was never intended (in my understanding of the process)
to be used as a _legal document_ in the way in which it is used.  There
are more "loopholes" (as Marti has identified) than the Florida
election statutes!

This is why I believe that these _guidelines_ are always going to be
subject to interpretation.  If we really intend for them to be
_legally enforceable_ than the current method of creating the WCAG
guidelines is woefully inadequate.  At the very least we should have
teams of lawyers reviewing every word written.

--Kynn
--
Kynn Bartlett <kynn@idyllmtn.com>
http://www.kynn.com/