Re: Politics: Strict Guidelines Considered Harmful

From: Marti <marti@agassa.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 10:14:27 -0500
To: "Charles F. Munat" <chas@munat.com>, <jim@jimthatcher.com>, "'Kynn Bartlett'" <kynn@idyllmtn.com>, <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Whew! Given the temperature of this rhetoric, it really could be a political
discussion.

While
(3.3)"Use style sheets to control layout and presentation" is certainly a
clear statement,  I can't help but wonder how you square it with
(11.1)"Use W3C technologies when they are available and appropriate for a
task and use the latest versions when supported."
Suppose, for a moment, that I was somehow able to create pages based purely
on CSS for layout and presentation such that they looked 'right' in the
latest versions of IE and NN.  Further, by some miracle they are ok without
CSS too!  Now, what am I supposed to do about all those 'partial'
implementations of CSS?
From the legal standpoint it appears,to me, that you could drive the
proverbial truck through the loophole(s) in 11.1.
Can any checkpoint be read as a stand alone element, or should they be
viewed in the larger context of the whole document?
Marti