Re: Over-redundancy of ALT text?

From: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 10:28:58 +0000 (GMT)
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
> average user as well as one with cognitive disabilities. But under current
> guidelines, how does one provide meaningful "alt" text for an image that's
> only there to enhance a nearby text (link)?

alt="", I would think.  However, before you do this, given that many
GUI browsers treat alt as "tool-tips", you should make sure that it
is totally clear that the text duplicates the icon, even if the icon
image is only displayed as a placeholder.

If it really is only there to enhance, an nearby really means so near as
to be obviously part of the same construct, there is no need for a non-empty
alt string.