Re: Politics: Strict Guidelines Considered Harmful

From: Davey Leslie <davey@inx-jp.org>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 08:44:06 +0900
To: Kynn Bartlett <kynn@idyllmtn.com>, <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Thus spake Kynn Bartlett on 00.12.16 1:15 AM at kynn@idyllmtn.com:

>> Your Avoidance Theory of Web Design is clever but, to paraphrase Jessie
>> Jackson, "doesn't pass the smell test."
>
> Hi, Davey, can you explain this a little further?  I think I understand
> what you are saying but I am not sure.

Hey, Kynn,
Oops! Well, that's what I get for trying to be cute! Let me try again: The
point of the guidelines is perfectly clear--use css; don't use physical
mark-up.

It's possible of course to do linguistic deconstruction of the guidelines
centering on the meaning of the word 'avoid' but would not be valid given
the context of the rest of the text.

> I do have serious fears that if we reach too far and demand too much
> (and I _do_ believe that's possible; this may be a point of philosophic
> disagreement right there), then the WAI and WCAG will become meaningless
> by forcing people to choose between accessibility and decent design
> practices.  I don't want that choice to be made and I don't think
> it's necessary, -because- I think it's a case where accessibility
> will lose consistently.

Your point is also perfectly clear--and you may well be right. But that
means that you are in disagreement with the guidelines. And that's okay. You
don't have to play twister with the word 'avoid.'

As my old man used to tell me, "Just stand up straight and make your point,
boy!"

Your Pal,
Davey Leslie

--