Re: Slashdot: How should Govt sites be designed?

Busy weekend ahead, so I can't do justice to your question. First of all,
the opening page is horrid. There isn't enough difference in the types of
index to illustrate the differences in use. But, going to "Topic Index"
http://www.open.gov.uk/index/topicindex.htm there is a table, each cell
contains a single word as a link. Each of those single words can and should
be illustrated ... similar to what I did on
http://www.geocities.com/apembert45 ...
a picture of a barn, a tractor, or a bunch of wheat would do nicely with
agriculture. Finance needs a picture of a bank, or a pile of money, etc.,
Justice, a picture of the major court building, or a picture of a scale, or
any of the other symbols of courts and justice, and so on, for all the
links on a page.

	In reading the various comments this mornng, I was saddened by the fact
that you and only you seemed to take note of this issue, while everyone
else is concerned about legalisms. I think this points to the need to put a
very specific statement in the guidelines that we can use to say, "What, no
illustrations? You failed guideline x.x and checkpoint x.x."

					Anne

At 02:24 PM 12/14/00 -0800, Kynn Bartlett wrote:
>At 5:20 PM -0800 12/14/00, Anne Pemberton wrote:
>>Nick,
>>
>>	Checked our your site, and if I was interested just for
>>myself, it would
>>be a nice site, but for persons with disabilities that affect the ability
>>to read, the site is just one more useless government site. The only place
>>I could find any icons or "illustrations" to support the plethora of words
>>was on the site about accessibility where the included the icons for all
>>the awards received. Even the site for What's New, with a link to
>>information on PWD's adding income, was mared by the absence of any
>>illustrations to guide a poor reader to the information they want.
>
>Anne, can you take one or two specific pages and describe what kind
>of illustrations would be useful?  E.g., "this page could use an
>illustration of a man with a shovel after the first headline" or
>"this page could use some sort of graphical representation of the
>numbers in table 3".
>
>I am fine with the idea of making sites more accessible by using
>graphics, but I think many people (myself included) are not
>entirely sure what kind of graphics are necessary.  Also, if you
>could explain _why_ you made the recommendations, that would help
>a lot too, as it will enable web designers to get into the right
>mindset when thinking about conveying content not only through
>text but in a variety of different ways.
>
>Thanks!
>
>--Kynn
>--
>Kynn Bartlett <kynn@idyllmtn.com>