Re: slashdot/government sites

Hi

On Fri 15-Dec-2000 at 09:35:20 +0000, Dr Nick Fiddes wrote:

> In the past few weeks we've made good progress in getting stuff about
> it into the business press here, and have had very positive meetings
> with government and enterprise agencies (Scottish, not UK) with regard
> to raising the standard of work done in this country.  We have high
> hopes of getting it introduced as a contractual standard for any
> officially supported work.

I think this is a really important point. It's not just a matter of
educating web designers, getting the clients to ask for sites that
comply with standards is crucial.

I have had mixed results in trying to get clients, in public sector
organisations, to ask for W3C standards in their specifications, but
being able to point them to this page:

http://www.open.gov.uk/services/standards.htm

and being able to say to them -- "these are the standards the government
is aiming at, why should your site be designed to any lower standards?",
helps.

However I agree that the use of the Triple-A icon is not appropriate,
but it *is* a big step in the right direction :-)

Chris

--
Chris Croome <chris@webarchitects.co.uk>
work: http://www.webarchitects.co.uk/