RE: Slashdot: How should Govt sites be designed?

From: Kynn Bartlett <kynn@idyllmtn.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 15:04:43 -0800
To: "Charles F. Munat" <chas@munat.com>, "'Dr Nick Fiddes'" <nick@scotweb.ltd.uk>, <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
At 2:40 PM -0800 12/14/00, Charles F. Munat wrote:
>They are also using FONT tags! And <b>! How can this be AAA or even AA?
>So:
>3.3 (Priority 2) Use style sheets to control layout and presentation. I read
>this as no bgcolor and definitely no font or bold tags.

Actually, I have to disagree with this; I don't believe that bgcolor,
font, or bold themselves present -any- access problems whatsoever.  It
is entirely possible to use those elements without creating accessibility
barriers.

Errors result when those are -relied upon- to provide information, not
when they are -used-.  That is a subtle but key point to understanding
accessibility on the tag level.

(Not speaking of specific examples from this page, just speaking in
generalities.  I do agree that the claim of Triple-A conformance is
questionable.  By the way, I suggest spelling out Single-A, Double-A,
and Triple-A rather than relying on the letters A, AA, and AAA, as
those may be rendered unreliably.)

>11.2 (Priority 2) Avoid deprecated features of W3C technologies. I read this
>as no Transitional XHTML. Strict only.

Transitional XHTML is not deprecated.  11.2 does _not_ mandate the use
of XHTML Strict.

--Kynn
--
Kynn Bartlett <kynn@idyllmtn.com>