RE: HELP!!!! with priority #1.3

Dear Alice,

Your message prompted me to notice that the WCAG glossary does not define
either "auditory description" nor "textual equivalents".  Clearly this is an
oversight.

Textual equivalent (in the context of this discussion) means the transcript
of an audio (or video) presentation.  In many cases, especially dramatic
presentations, textual equivalence is more than just the words which are
spoken, and does need to be fairly descriptive.  The term "audio
description" is something quite different, has nothing to do with text, and
has a specific meaning.

Audio description is a technique of incorporating additional spoken
narrative on a movie's sound track.  By definition then, audio description
IS in time with the presentation, so keeping it synchronized is NOT an
issue.  For a web example, you might take a look at URL:
<http://main.wgbh.org/wgbh/access/dvs/dvsclip.html> (which also includes the
textual equivalent).

Checkpoint 1.3 reads as it does because there is still no technology would
allow text (in any form) to be exposed to a screen reader in time with a
multimedia presentation.  Since there is not a way for an end user to create
dynamic audio description (using speech synthesis and a textual equivalent),
1.3 is basically a requirement for content providers to offer a sound track
incorporating audio description whenever they post multimedia.

Checkpoint 1.4 refers really just to captioning -- since audio description
is synced.  (Although, I guess, it would be theoretically possible NOT to be
synchronized -- but that would be MORE work!  There are plenty of examples
of bad or poorly done audio description.  But, just as there are plenty of
example of badly done web pages, that is not a WCAG checkpoint violation!)

Cheers,
Bruce Bailey