From: "Robert Neff" <rneff@bbnow.net>
To: "Kynn Bartlett" <kynn-edapta@idyllmtn.com>; "Joe Clark"
<joeclark@joeclark.org>; <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Sent: December 02, 2000 9:37 AM
Subject: RE: Flash access: Unclear on the concept

i am confused.  seems the author is trying to cover too much and be
all
things to all people.  however, i think there are several issues here
that
should be broken apart.

1. Flash can be made accessible.  we did it at the United States Mint
when I
was there.  Flash is not accessible by itself, however it is a great
tool
and product that can be made accessible using a technique to provide
ALT
text.

2.  Universal access is a concept - a seed that is being planted. This
will
take some time to fully implement.  I am very proud that i am on the
leading
edge of a "revolution' to help make the web accessible to everyone.
Until
there is 'buy-in' from the companies to that make browsers to adhere
standards as being developed by the W3C, then not all the
functionality will
be there.

3.  I have seen significant progress made over the years form both the
web
browser and page authoring side.  The biggest catalyst is the Federal
Government's decision to do something about this.  I am refereeing to
the
requirements in Section 508.  Hence the State and Local government
needs to
follow and put some requirements into the ADA.

4.  I do agree, while there are not many browsers that support the
full
functionality, we do have Microsoft, Adobe, and Macromedia's
attention.
However, after being on both the government and industry side, web
developers are caught in the middle as they 1) Do not have the page
authoring tools to apply all the requirements to accomplish this, 2)
Must
design for two main browsers and multiple operating systems, 3) Must
become
educated on how to design web sites for multiple browsers and for
universal
design, and 4) Fight for the funding, resources, training and support
to do
so.  The funding and understanding is more apparent in the government
than
it is in the commercial and retail world.  There is a huge cost to
test your
development under multiple browsers and this can be a cost to purchase
the
PCs and maintain the configuration, cost to train everyone on the
multiple
browsers and purchase them, cost to train the web developers, business
folks
and retrain new employees.  Therefore the tools must be provided to
permit
rapid application development, rapid design and quality assurance.

5.  The PWD community must organize and show they exist and are an
economic
force to be recognized.  This is still a fragmented audience and the
realization to mobilize is now with e-commerce and call centers.
Until the
PWD community stands up and shows they are a user and economic force
to be
recognized, this will not impact any company's bottom line.

6.  Security and protection of data, for example, Secure Socket Layer
or
SSL, will require all users to upgrade and this is where the browser
community or you will not be able to access their site.  Because more
and
more sites are becoming dynamic,  database driven, and putting
information
under forms via SSL, this is the number one reason why I think the
argument
that the web designer must design for all browsers will not be valid
down
the road.

7.  Here are my final comments, we are at the leading edge and WE all
have
improved the world, but the PWD community must stand up and be
recognized
because screen readers and many of the methods used do not show up on
the
company log files as a hit or a significant presence.  Companies
understand
economics and the bottom line and the ability to create new markets,
so PWD
needs to organize. The W3C Web Accessibility Initiative, and some
Organizations and individuals who are in the trenches fighting cannot
do it
alone!

DISCLAIMER: My comments are my personal opinions and in no way reflect
the
views of previous and current employers.