Re: JAWS discards SPAN content?

David Holstius wrote:

> where I was using a rule:
>
>   .X { width: 12em; text-align: right; }

You are relying on a bug in IE.  width is not a defined attribute for
inline elements.  (I had a bug report on Mozilla rejected because I made
this mistake!)

> got a reply from an HJ representative:
>
> > Currently Jaws VPC does not support these tags and therefore
> > Jaws is prevented from seeing the associated web form field
> > labels.  The temporary solution is to remove the surrounding

Unsupported *tags* should be ignored.  Unsupported *elements* should not
be ignored but treated as though they had no surrounding open and closing
tags.  This is a basic rule of HTML and a rather easy one to implement!

> Workable, yes, but does anyone want to see content they've put between SPANs
> (in many cases, put there to avoid deprecated or improper markup) rendered

They normally are there to allow the HTML to validate against more
recent DTDs without the user actually having to think, or the authoring
tool to have to change its user interface from one designed to insert
"<FONT FACE=".  In particular, this example should have been.

   <label for="MyField" class="X">Some text:</label><input
 name="Myfield" ...

And, in most cases, the styling should be applied to a STRONG, EM,
or Hn element, not to SPAN.