Obscure languages and WCAG Checkpoint 4.1

From: Adam Alonzo <Adam.alonzo@wright.edu>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 10:02:33 -0500
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

While developing a Web-based virtual tour for an art museum, I have
had no difficulty identifying most of the changes in language that
occur within a site of this nature.  However, in addition to French,
Italian and other familiar languages, I have also encountered some
obscure languages, such as those spoken by tribes rather than nations.
I've been referring to a list of ISO language codes located at:

  http://www.oasis-open.org/cover/iso639a.html

It does not include certain languages such as Bamileke (Cameroon),
Baule (Ivory Coast) and Hemba (Democratic Republic of the Congo).

Questions for the list:

  1. Is there a better source for language codes that might
     include these languages?

  2. If I am unable to find official language codes, what are my
     options, besides ignoring this Priority 1 checkpoint?

Thank you,

Adam Alonzo
Accessible Arts! Coordinator
Office of Disability Services