RE: TTY and the phone

Hello,
The US Access Board, in their guidance on compliance with the ADA, recommend
that the description "TTY" be utilized rather than TDD since it is more
inclusive of people with speech disabilities.  (TDD refers to "Telephone
Device for the Deaf"). As a result, the practice in California local govt is
to say, "For customer orders call 800-123-4567 (V/TTY)."  By using this
description "(V/TTY)" the deaf community in California would know that both
oral and deaf customers should call this number.

Best regards,
Cynthia Waddell
Formerly ADA compliance officer for City of San Jose

---------------------------------------
Cynthia D. Waddell
Sr. Consultant/Subject Matter Expert
PSINet Consulting Solutions