wmf-svg

From: jonathan chetwynd <jc@signbrowser.org.uk>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 09:07:34 -0000
To: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
has anyone used a wmf viewer within linux?
(possibly libwmf)

excuse me advertising my ignorance again.. after many months, I've finally been forced to look at the w3c/svg pages.

I discovered that the 4 largest and most popular LD graphics suppliers all use .wmf as their format.
Due to copyright issues they are extremely unlikely to allow extensive use of their resources on the web.
as you know it would be possible to create HTML links to the users hard drive, and this has an additional benefit of speed.

As not everyone has all 4 is their any plan to allow alternative linking in HTML, ie if the img is not available?
even if my perl allowed it, universality precludes me from providing 4 pages for every case, and users would be aware that the benefits derive from defaulting/tiering libraries.

would an svg viewer render wmf images?
are they sufficiently different that as in photography, a conversion of format would be sufficient to allow recognition without legal recourse?

thanks

jonathan chetwynd

jc@signbrowser.org.uk
IT teacher (learning difficulty)