Re: [Fwd: FW: Re[2]: Database-driven Web pages]

For database-driven applications, the general approach is a
model/view/controller paradigm, give or take.

What header cells go with a data cell in a table is most clearly stated in the
schema or query that selects the contents for the table; not in the tabular
presentation.  But if you are desiging a database-driven application, you have
access to that.  But you can look at the table linearization tool for examples
<<http://www.w3.org/WAI/Resources/Tablin/>http://www.w3.org/WAI/Resources/T
ablin/>.

There is a similar concept in terms of state in dialog processes, but the
process schemas are not so widely articulated today as are the data schemas.

A state machine model [such as captured by the StateMate design tool] is the
kind of schema one needs to back up the cookies that form place-marks in the
process.  There is a process model in the minds of the people who encode the
cookies.  The trick is to get it written down and shared with the client.

This is actually the same issue that comes up concerning accessibility of
Voice-enabled portals.  What structural semantics need to be defined and
communicated surrounding a voice dialog using SSML encoding?  There has to
be a
safety net of some sort under the user's ability to mentally track their place
in the process.

The record of the W3C Device Independent Authoring workshop is worth reading
with regard to the original question.
<<http://www.w3.org/2000/10/DIAWorkshop/>http://www.w3.org/2000/10/DIAWorksh
op/>

Al