Checkpoint 5.3 (was RE: [media] WAI guidelines yield...)

This is another problem area that Len has recently highlighted.
Sure, the WCAG does not prohibit tables for layout (at least not until one
is interested in AAA).
The problem is that the requirement for "sensible reading order"  is not
strong enough.  A page can be P1 compliant, but render to a screen reader as
complete hash that not understandable.  See Len's page for a detailed
explanation.  Real-life examples are not all that hard to come by.
I would advocate changing Checkpoint 5.3 (Do not use tables for layout
unless the table makes sense when linearized) to P1, but delete the
disclaimer note (tables should not be used for layout [at all]) or move it
to Checkpoint 3.3 (Use style sheets to control layout and presentation)
which should remain at P2.
Ref URL:  <http://astro.temple.edu/~kasday/wai/backwards.html>