Challenge: Defining accessibility

From: Charles F. Munat <chas@munat.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 20:20:34 -0700
To: "WAI Interest Group \(E-mail\)" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
I think that part of the reason for our heated debates regarding graphics is
a difference in the way we view accessibility. It seems to me that a
prerequisite to ensuring accessibility on the Web is to understand what we
mean by it. So here is my challenge:

Who on this list can give a comprehensive definition for accessibility? What
*exactly* does it mean? And accessibility for whom? To what?

(With regard to the Web, of course).

Perhaps by getting the differences in our fundamental views out in the open,
we can begin to work toward a consensus as to what we are striving to
achieve. That will give us a clear yardstick for measuring how well our
guidelines help us to approach that ideal.

Any takers for the defining accessibility challenge? Step right up and take
a shot.

Charles F. Munat,
Seattle, Washington