Re: A new iconography? (was:How to convince businesses to be accessible...)

At 11:05 PM 10/18/00 +0100, David Woolley wrote:
>And that's exactly how commercial sites discriminate against classes of
>user, they simply make it unrealistically difficult for those users
>to access the site.  If such users have little commercial muscle, they
>will find all sites blocked the same way.

The problem for many disabled users isn't the commercial sites, but the
information sites that are too often all text with no illustrating graphics
of any kind and the reading level of the text is too high for the averagely
educated individual. Government sites, and sites to exchange information on
disability "rights" are the worst! Is it OK for a cognitively disabled
users to be turned aside by the IRS site (as an example), but not alright
for a blind user to have to use alt-text? Seems to me it's time for users
whose basic needs are met to step aside and let unserved users fill their
plate.

				Anne

Anne L. Pemberton
http://www.pen.k12.va.us/Pav/Academy1