RE: Web Development

> From:	Mark Andrew Nassy [SMTP:nassy@crosswinds.net]
>
> As an aside the page is inaccessible to macweb, and perhaps any browser
> that
> supports  http 1.0 only. I don't know why. Perhaps it has something to do
> with the earthlink server. You get the following message:
>
> Old Web Browser!
> The website you are trying to reach requires that you use an updated
> browser that supports the HTTP 1.1 protocol. ...

1) I was under the impression that a compliant HTTP/1.1 server
had to support HTTP/1.0.

2) Most if not all proxy servers cannot legitimately claim to
be HTTP/1.1.

I suspect, though, that what is really being complained about
is the lack of Host: headers, which allow virtual servers without
distinct IP addresses.  These can be sent by clients which
only claim HTTP/1.0 conformance.  It works with the HTTP/1.0
Lynx browser (through two proxies, at least one of which is
HTTP/1.0.  Lynx supports Host headers, though.  (The page
reads well in Lynx, so was probably designed with it in mind.)