Re: Clocks

From: <kynn@idyllmtn.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2000 02:46:34 -0700 (PDT)
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Marti asked:
> I never did check out the Olympics web site - did they use a 'real time'
> clock for events?  Would that be a reasonable excuse to use one?

A real-time clock for events _might_ be reasonable; however, there
are a number of ways to enable the same functionality that don't
include merely placing a clock on the screen!  A much better concept,
for example, would be to allow a user to the site to form her own
"schedule" and send notifications somehow (email, instant messaging,
etc) when an event is about to begin.  A real-time on-screen web clock
is thinking small; web authors need to think big!

> I am still wondering about which checkpoint covers this - and if something
> needs to be added.

A good general principle is "always allow the user to control any
time-dependent effects" which would include repeating messages such
as this.  If someone _wants_ a real-time clock, then it should be
available, but the user should be given the option to activate or
de-activate the clock as desired, in an accessible and efficient
fashion.

This is the whole of guideline 7 in WCAG 1.0, of course.

--Kynn o'clock