RE: Good Design using Relatively simple HTML

Neither of the sites you mention (despite being fairly text oriented) scale
properly.  The author mixes deprecated font tags in with the CSS.  I haven't
looked closely, but I suspect they were just going for fairly trivial
effects.  They've pretty much defeated the utility of style sheets by not
fully embracing the technology.