RE: Olympics.com (was: Re: apology on "alt" tags)

> From:	Sean Lindsay [SMTP:seanlindsay@disabilitytimes.com]
>
> So saying "it would take a year", as many in the media have
> misrepresented,
> is totally inaccurate. Based on these numbers, a team of thirty could have
> accomplished the task in the 17 days between the decision and the start of
> the Olympics. Or, if IBM had mobilised all 2000 of the paid staff they
> reportedly have on the project, it would have taken 90 minutes.

[DJW:]  Software projects don't scale like this (I think
is actually the basis of the title of the well known
book, The Mythical Man Month).  There is fixed training
and familiarisation time for each person, but, more importantly,
you need to be able to divide up the work in a way that each
person can do it with minimum interaction with the others.

Whilst simply adding alt may be a job that can be decomposed well,
and therefore an exception, one would probably not hope to
get a typical one man year project
done in less than about four months using four people.