RE: apology on "alt" tags

> From:	Kynn Bartlett [SMTP:kynn-edapta@idyllmtn.com]
>
> I think that such accusations are unfair to the web designers and
> are amazingly misguided as they assume a malice -- "willfully
> excluding people" -- which has not been proven.

	[DJW:]  A typical commercial organisation doesn't set
	out to exclude; what it does is apply an 80% rule and
	sets out to include the cheapest/most profitable 80% of
	the audience, which may well be able bodied people, operating
	IBM compatibles, less than 3 years old, with at least 32MB
	of RAM and running IE5 or NS4 with scripts and cookies
	permanently on and with at least a 33K connection and no
	upstream bottlenecks and who never validated HTML against
	DTDs.  Effort beyond supporting the 80%
	is considered wasted effort.
	[DJW:]