Re: PDF

From: Paul Stauffer 301-827-5694 FAX 301-443-6385 <STAUFFERP@cder.fda.gov>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 14:01:57 -0400 (EDT)
To: "w3c-wai-ig-request" <w3c-wai-ig-request@w3.org>, "w3c-wai-ig" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Apparently Acrobat 4.05b is supposed to incorporate accessible features
into it.  With JAWS, I've only been able to read the table-of-contents,
but not the body of the document.  I'm hoping that this pans out.  We
have classes of documents that we cannot convert to HTML, due to huge
workload.  Some of these documens are over a 1000 pages of scientific
material with graphics, mathematical forumlas, etc. We use HTML
primarily, but some of the documents we only offer in Acrobat.

Paul Stauffer
staufferp@cder.fda.gov

>Speaking of PDF documents, has anyone heard when Adobe will release the
5.0
>version of their Reader? If this software does include features that
would
>allow popular screen-reader software, one wonders if it will be
necessary in
>most cases to provide a PDF document in an alternative format.
>
>http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/pressroom/pressreleases/200004/20000418
acr.h
>tml
>
>I would be interested to hear the thoughts of the other members of this
IG