RE: PDF Alternatives?

> From:	Marti [SMTP:marti@agassa.com]
>
> locations (seems it would be too hard to 'retrain' data entry clerks if
> you
> move something a millimeter). As silly as this sounds it is a fact of life

[DJW:]  I think the problem is not of moving a little
but that each form returned might have a different layout,
meaning that the clerks have to read the form to make sure
they have correctly identified the field.

The other problem with forcing radical changes on
people is that you can only do it within small parts
of government, or by creating an army of inspectors.
Commercial organisations don't want to increase their
costs, and, at least in the UK there was a strong move
("first steps") to transfer central government functions
to independent "agencies".  This was part of the free
market move at the time, but was also intended to reduce
costs imposed on the organisations by being manipulated
for political reasons.

In the UK driving licencing is handled by an agency,
not central government, and that is true of most other
forms generating organisations.

(The example I always thing of with regards to this sort
of regulation is fire safety.  There is UK legislation that
says, in effect, that it is illegal to prop fire doors
open, but this is regular practice because there is not
the will to spend tax payers money on enforcing it.)

You need to compromise quite severely if you are going
to have more than tiny islands of accessibility.