RE: PDF Alternatives?

> From:	Waddell, Cynthia [SMTP:cynthia.waddell@ci.sj.ca.us]
>
> Below is a passage from another Adobe web page
>
> (http://access.adobe.com/access_faq.html) specifically referencing PDF
	[DJW:]  ...

> an image-only PDF, that is, a bit-map image contained in a PDF file. Many
>
> organizations convert their old forms to PDF files by simply scanning them
>

> into Acrobat, rather than creating a PDF with searchable text. These

[DJW:]  Anyone who has created a new official form in the
last 15 or so years almost certainly produced a PostScript
file at some point in the process of preparing it for
printing.  PostScript is trivially convertible to PDF with
proper text.

Although the machine readable sources of forms may have been
lost, I suspect part of the problem is that the people
putting them on web sites don't understand the print
production process and therefore start from the hard copy,
when they should start from the photo-setter input, or further
back in the chain.