RE: How do I use CSS to fake a button?

From: Bruce Bailey <bbailey@clark.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 14:53:16 -0400
To: "Charles McCathieNevile" <charles@w3.org>, <huftis@bigfoot.com>
Cc: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
> (I take it that it worked ;-)

Well, it worked well enough!

I ended up using:

.left { display: block; float: left ; width: 40% }
.right { display: block; float: right ; width: 40% }

A higher value for width caused the columns to be sequential rather than
side-by-side.  I am using IE to prototype before moving the pages to
pwKiosk -- they seem to display things in a very similar fashion.

If you (or Karl, or anyone else) are feeling very charitable, please take a
look at the source of http://www.dors.state.md.us/mrc/programs.html and
http://www.dors.state.md.us/mrc/kiosk.css and tell me how I might get text
which follows a "button" to begin underneath it.

<BR><BR><BR> will do it, but this is very much a kludge.  Besides, isn't (in
theory) aren't multiple breaks equivalent to one break?  The CSS equivalent
of <BR clear=left> is too aggressive (subsequent text follows my left
columns stuff).

Thanks again!