NOW: appropriate hypertext

From: tom mcCain <tmccain@on-net.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 11:46:03 -0500 (EST)
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
> 	The real problem with "click" is it represents a failure
> 	to think about appropriate hypertext...

I think it is possible to use appropriate hypertext and still use the word
"click" in that hypertext.

Link copy should tell users what to expect when they follow a link. Making
rules for how we accomplish that misses the point.

Whether we use "click," "select," "follow," "read," "choose," "slam" or
"pound" as the active verb is a literary issue, not a literal one, as long
as meaning is clear.

Terminology is an appropriate part of design. Depending on the context and
purpose of one site, I may choose to use one hypertext phrase throughout.
On a different site, I may choose variety. That choice and the goal of
clarity rightly belong within the creative challenge.

tom 'n' mindy mcCain

designers of really neat web stuff
since before the turn of the last century

tom@crittur.com | mindy@crittur.com | 13-h@indianaoutboard.org

http://www.crittur.com | indianapolis, indiana usa