NOW: appropriate hypertext

From: tom mcCain <tmccain@on-net.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 11:46:03 -0500 (EST)
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
> 	The real problem with "click" is it represents a failure
> 	to think about appropriate hypertext...

I think it is possible to use appropriate hypertext and still use the word
"click" in that hypertext.

Link copy should tell users what to expect when they follow a link. Making
rules for how we accomplish that misses the point.

Whether we use "click," "select," "follow," "read," "choose," "slam" or
"pound" as the active verb is a literary issue, not a literal one, as long
as meaning is clear.

Terminology is an appropriate part of design. Depending on the context and
purpose of one site, I may choose to use one hypertext phrase throughout.
On a different site, I may choose variety. That choice and the goal of
clarity rightly belong within the creative challenge.

../tom

tom 'n' mindy mcCain

designers of really neat web stuff
since before the turn of the last century

tom@crittur.com | mindy@crittur.com | 13-h@indianaoutboard.org

http://www.crittur.com | indianapolis, indiana usa