Web content, and access

From: Joe Clark <joeclark@electricseed.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 21:26:24 -0500
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Hi, everybody. (Hi, Dr. Nick.) After 20-odd years following
accessibility, including running the Media Access mailing list, which
may be past its prime--

-- and after freelance writing for ten years and being online for
nine, my friends and I have started a new online *content*
consultancy, contenu.nu.

The NUblog, a Weblog on content issues, is very widely read. Since
I'm the one writing the HTML (and, thus far, every single word; the
"we" is purely editorial), accessibility features are in full force.
Think Tarantino actors holding up a diner, *that* full a force.

Not only is there an ALT on every graphic and a TITLE on every
graphic, nearly every link, and many table rows, there are LONGDESCs
and D.-links and ACCESSKEYs all over the damn place. I also discussed
the richness such tags and attributes provide to online data in the
archives: <http://www.contenu.nu/narchives.html#metadata>. (There's
also a discussion of multilingual content you might like:

Warning: My pal Luke is still wrangling Zope, the content-management
system, to serve the whole thing via a database, so file sizes are
large, and we're dealing with nested tables here.

I am specifically asking WAI-IG readers with oddball combos of screen
reader and computer and browser to attempt to break the NUblog page.
Tell me anything that doesn't work. I would be surprised if anything
doesn't, given that the page validates as HTML 4.0 Transitional save
for quoted strings in URLs, which don't count.

Anyway, happy reading.

    Joe Clark | joeclark@contenu.nu
    contenu.nu: content origination, distribution, and management
    Taste | Acumen | Content -- <http://www.contenu.nu>
    (Read the NUblog: <http://www.contenu.nu/nublog.html>)