RE: portable network graphics

The real problem with Adobe's PDF is that the vast majority of content
creators do not bother at all to ensure that the embedded textual equivalent
is even present, let alone accurate.  You certainly are not going to get the
average PDF author to include additional metadata of any sort.  As with
missing ALT content, satisfactory repairs can NOT be made by the reader.