Re: [Fwd: [webwatch] How is access defined?]

It is difficult to define accessibility without context (are we talking buildings, conveyances, computers, web sites, touch screen kiosks) and without target populations (ADAG is good for the general public, but what an individual needs in their own home will be quite different).  With regard to web site development, the WCAG is an incredibly good tool for declaring one site "accessible" and another "inaccessible".

An accessible site meets ALL of the Priority 1 checkpoints of the the WCAG.  An inaccessible site fails to meet one or more of the WCAG Priority 1 checkpoints.

If you like, call this the bare minimum acceptable practice.  I can only hope that the Feds (and others who are developing guidelines and standards) are smart enough to save themselves a lot of work and that they actually literally reference the WCAG (as oppose to re-writing the WCAG into their policy).  The Feds have their work cut out for them though, they have to have policy for all information technology related activities, not just
web sites and kiosks.

This is not to say that accessibility is not a continuum.  A site can be useable, but be improved upon to be more usable.  A site can be well designed, but still have its interface improved upon.  An accessible site can become more accessible by addressing Priority 2 and 3 checkpoints.  I don't see any contradictions here.  I agree with Charles that we must be clear for less enlightened audiences that not everything is shades of gray.

Bruce Bailey