Javascript Navigation Question ( www.freediskspace.com )

From: Patrick Burke <burke@ucla.edu>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 16:09:00 -0800
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Greetings,

A week or two ago someone mentioned the importance of using ONFOCUS and
ONBLUR events in Javascripts, e.g., to allow keyboard navigation. I think I
have found a good example of this need, but if someone with more Javascript
skills could verify what is going on I would be grateful.

The homepage for www.freediskspace.com has a number of links that are
activated by Javascripts. Using JFW3.2 & IE4 I can navigate to the links,
the URL is read, but hitting ENTER does nothing. The code appears to use
only ONMOUSEOVER type functions.

I can steal a URL from the source code (for the "About Us" or "Signup"
page), and that is the only way I can get to the second level pages. The
strange thing is that these 2nd-level pages appear to navigate pretty
normally (except no alts for most links), but I can hear the targets &
ENTER launches the next page. The code doesn't appear to me to be any
different than the main page.

If anyone has any ideas please let me know so I can make the most
constructive suggestion to the designers (other than don't use Jscript).

Many thanks,

Patrick