Re: Memorandum from Paul Taylor wrt ADA and the Internet

From: Kelly Ford <kford@teleport.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 08:09:35 -0800
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
David,

I'd be curious to know why you are so against legal action to compell
improved web accessibility?  While I certainly don't think it is the first
approach, in many cases the force of law is the best method to compel action.

I've watched the web grow more and more inaccessible as time goes by.  This
probably isn't a popular opinion but all the guidelines, standards and such
seem to have little impact on the web's development.

Show me an e-commerce site that's been hurt by inaccessibility.  Obviously
these sorts of sites will be hard to find because who knows how many
transactions have been lost when someone found a transaction too difficult
to complete.  But I don't see too many e-commerce vendors running around
saying, "Gee, if I incorporate accessibility I'll make more money."