Re: [media] Designers Suffer as Browser Makers Continue to Lag the W3C's Work

At 4:09 PM -0400 6/16/00, Kathleen Anderson wrote:
>Read the article at:
>http://www.internetworldnews.com/article_bot.asp?inc=061500/6.15InternetTech
>2&issue=6.15

I'd feel sorrier for the "poor, suffering" web designers if I felt
any large number of them actually CARED about the standards and
were actively trying to implement them.  I feel this is not the
case at all -- most web designers are woefully ignorant of even
the HTML 4 spec, let alone accessibility considerations -- and
articles such as these (and many of the Web Standards Project's
efforts) unfairly place the entirely of the blame on the browser
makers.

Sure, they've failed -- but the web design community, as a whole,
has done little to promote validity and accessibility as noble
goals, and I think it's a bit two-faced to paint the browser makers
as the bad guys.  It's much less a "popular" stance to say that
web designers, in their (often willful) ignorance, share the
blame; it's easy to rail against the villains, as long as they're
not "us."

--Kynn

PS:  Needless to say, those of you on the WSP steering committee
      who read this list will not like this message.  Sorry, dudes.
Kynn Bartlett <kynn@idyllmtn.com>
http://www.kynn.com/