Specifying font sizes in stylesheets

From: Sarah Kuehnle <sarah@kuehnle.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2000 19:45:59 -0400
To: "w3c-wai-ig" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
I just launched a new version of my website and have several emails
commenting on font size. I specified the font size in my stylesheet as 9 pt.
As I'm sure many of you know, when trying to change that size using the
browser (through View --> Text Size), the user is unable to change the size
at all.

url: http://www.thedesigngirl.com/

My question is this: What is the best way to specify font sizes in a
stylesheet so that the user is still able to adjust the size if necessary?
Should I be using pts, ems, pixels, percentages? Or should I not specify
size at all and just rely on user defaults?

Thanks in advance,
Sarah Kuehnle