Re: [media] ZDNet eWEEK W3C accepts VoiceXML 1.0 spec

At 7:40 AM -0700 5/25/00, Patrick Burke wrote:
>At 12:36 AM 5/24/00 , Judy Brewer wrote:
>>Any work on this topic must go through the same consensus-development
>>process as other W3C work, including W3C working drafts, last call,
>>candidate recommendation, proposed recommendation, etc., before becoming a
>>W3C Recommendation.
>Maybe I'm slow, but does this mean that the Zdnet article is just plain wrong?
>( http://www.zdnet.com/eweek/stories/general/0,11011,2574350,00.html )

I'd say -- kinda.  It's vague enough that the VoiceXML's PR people
probably didn't feed DELIBERATE lies, but they are clearly trying to
play up this "accomplishment."  The "acceptance" of a submitted paper
by the W3C doesn't mean diddly squat as far as it becoming a proposed
recommendation -- there have been many proposals submitted to the
W3C before that have gone absolutely nowhere, or have been
incorporated into further work in bits and pieces, certainly not
adopted wholesale.

Also, the quote from Jim Larson, the chair, seems to be a partial
one; he specifically described VoiceXML as a "model" for how they'll
built their recommendation, but this story uses the term "basis",
which has a different connotation in English.

Basically, the purpose of this story seems to be to generate more
buzz for VoiceXML, and not to report on an upcoming standard; if it
were an actual recommendation from the W3C, the press release
would have come from the W3C offices, not from VoiceXML's.

For reference:

From: http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Process/#SubmissionYes

      The acknowledgment of a Submission request does
      not imply that any action will be taken by W3C. It does
      not imply an endorsement by W3C, the W3C Team, or
      any of the Members of W3C. It merely records publicly
      that the Submission request has been made by the
      submitting Member. The specification may not be
      referred to as "work in process" of the W3C.
Kynn Bartlett <kynn@idyllmtn.com>
http://www.kynn.com/