Article from network world e-zine

any reaction?

Subject: Speak up
Author:  WebApps@bdcimail.com at Internet
Date:    5/25/2000 2:37 AM

NETWORK WORLD FUSION FOCUS: MARK GIBBS on
WEB APPLICATIONS
Today's focus: Speak up
05/24/00

Today's focus: Speak up
By Mark Gibbs

When I occasionally talk to my Web browser, it is usually along the
lines of  you *$@* piece of $%&@.  I just found another way: Conversa
Wen from Conversational Computing.

This utility works with Windows Internet Explorer 4 or above only, and
it provides complete voice control of the browser. Users can activate
dropdown boxes, pulldown menus, radio buttons and check boxes; enter
URLs and text fields; and gain access to a voice-activated history list.
Also, the software can read links aloud using text-to-speech technology.

An interesting aspect of the product is that training is not required,
implying a degree of speaker independence that is useful in a number of
environments. In particular, the product may be a real boon to visually
or physically impaired users.

The product has received a number of favorable reviews, and with street
prices as low as $24, Conversa Web is worth checking out.

Conversational Computing is at 8522 154th Avenue NE, Redmond, Wash.;
425-895-1800; http://www.conversa.com/Products/Web.asp.

FOR RELATED LINKS -- Click here for Network World's home page:
http://www.nwfusion.com

Voyant banks on 'Net speech service, Network World, 04/05/00
http://www.nwfusion.com/news/2000/0405voyant.html

Standard completed for voice-activated Web browsing, Network World ,
03/09/00
http://www.nwfusion.com/news/2000/0309voiceweb.html

Sprint putting Web services into Ford cars, Network World, 03/16/00
http://www.nwfusion.com/news/2000/0316sprintcar.html

Archive of Network World Web Applications Newsletter:
http://www.nwfusion.com/newsletters/web/

Other Web applications-related articles from Network World:

Bowstreet readies online Web services exchange, Network World, 05/22/00
http://www.nwfusion.com/archive/2000/97277_05-22-2000.html

Law and online collaboration, Network World, 05/22/00
http://www.nwfusion.com/archive/2000/96975_05-22-2000.html

May We Send You a Free Print Subscription?
You've got the technology snapshot of your choice delivered at your
fingertips each day. Now, extend your knowledge by receiving 51 FREE
issues to our print publication. Apply today at
http://www.nwwsubscribe.com/nl

go to:
http://www.nwwsubscribe.com/news/scripts/notprinteditnews.asp

To change your email address, go to:
http://www.nwwsubscribe.com/news/scripts/changeemail.asp

Subscription questions? Contact Customer Service by replying to this
message.

Other Questions/Comments

Have editorial comments? Write Jeff Caruso, Newsletter Editor, at:
mailto:jcaruso@nww.com

For advertising information, write Jamie Kalbach, Account Executive,
at: mailto:jkalbach@nww.com

Network World Fusion is part of IDG.net, the IDG Online Network.
IT All Starts Here:
http://www.idg.com

Copyright Network World, Inc., 2000