  From: Bruce Bailey
  To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org ; Kathleen Anderson ; Michael W Baker
  Cc: KristineBradow ; "Charles (Chuck) Oppermann"
  Sent: Monday, May 08, 2000 2:02 PM
  Subject: RE: Legal Guidelines

  Dear Kathleen,
  Thanks for this very terse and honest evaluation of FP 2k limitations.
  Another P1 violation:  It is not even possible using FP only to add ALT content to image map hotspots.  I believe that its implementation of frames is also broken from a WCAG perspective.
  To its credit, if one is an "expert" user, ALT content can be attached to mundane images using FP alone, but the operation is non-trivial.  FP can thus be used to construct most "average" pages which are P1 compliant.  It would be hard to argue that FP facilitates this process.  IMHO, someone who knows HTML well enough to make FP construct P1 compliant pages will have very significant objections to other limitations of the the tool.
  There is NO work around for the DOCTYPE and other problems.  One can always post-process pages with NotePad or another text editor, but then what's the point of using a WYSIWYG editor in the first place?
  If Microsoft gets the message that this is a serious issue, they will eventually fix the problem.  In the meantime my advise to Michael (et al.) is to write Microsoft a letter, then buy something else.  That is all that we could do.
  I am looking forward to FP 2001!
  --
  Cheers,
  Bruce Bailey