XML and Javaservlets

From: Scott Luebking <phoenixl@netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 10:17:37 -0700 (PDT)
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Hi,

I've been getting some interesting advice about XML and Java servlets.
The problem seems to be that using a general XML parsing
tools or any XML tool (e.g. XSL) which creates a parse tree can significantly
slow down devlivery of web pages from java servlets (depending on
machine, configuration, etc).  It seems that the creation of parse trees
can create performance problems because of the object creation.
Also, XML seems to parse more efficiently using a simple
recursive-descent parsing approach because of the XML container structure.
The recursive-descent parsing fills in application-specific data
structures rather than using XML general data structures.

I'm just wondering if there has been any research on XML and servlet
efficiency which looks at real world experiences.

Thanks,
Scott