Punctuation in lists

From: Bruce Bailey <bbailey@clark.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 09:00:14 -0400
To: "WAI Interest Group" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Dear Group,

I have been in the habit of ending list items with punctuation.  I do this
because my earlier experience with screen readers was that they did not
pause at all at the end of each list item.  I have gotten some grief for
this since the practice is, at best, questionable from a grammatical point
of view.  Is this practice still necessary?  Is it advisable?  HTML 3.2 had
DIR and MENU but these have been deprecated.  Is there any appropriate mark
up to differentiate a list where each bulleted item is one or two words each
versus a list where each item may be one or two sentences, or even multiple
paragraphs?  Do any screen readers treat any of the unordered list types
differently?

Thank you.