RE: Request for site review

Bruce,

At 09:36 2000-04-17 -0400, Bruce Bailey wrote:

>I agree with your meta over-all view of this, but visually, with a mouse and
>the context sensitive onMouseOver content, the two middle items happen so
>fluidly (and possibly without planning and/or much thought on the part of
>the user) that the operation is very condensed and feels more like one
>operation than two.

Maybe it's fluid on your computer - it certainly isn't on mine. Yes, maybe if you have the latest, fastest hardware and a video with lots of memory - but not everyone has that (or can afford it). Like I mentioned before, it's so slow that the mouse continues moving when the submenu and arrow on the main one stops displaying.
Try it on another computer (mine is a P166 with 64M RAM and the video has 2M).

Testing tip: put the site (or at least the part you need to test) on a floppy disk and load the site from there. It will give you approximately the access speed of a 28.8K modem (which is not what's in the shops now - but it is what many people still use, or the effective speed they can get out of their provider...)

>The mechanics of activating the onMouseOver content is
>completely contained within the "action" of selecting the original target.
>In fact, the visual user has little choice but to be exposed (however
>briefly) to the additional content.

Nope - I can just click - on a link that doesn't have an arrow.

Sorry,

Marjolein Katsma
HomeSite Help - http://hshelp.com/
Bookstore for Webmasters - http://hshelp.com/bookstore/bookstore.html