Proper Form Coding

From: Kelly Ford <kford@teleport.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 12:04:30 -0700
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Hi All,

Again if there are pointers on this please direct me to appropriate
resources.  I've been experimenting with ways to ensure that a screen
reader will read the correct text for things like edit boxes and such on
forms.

If I exclude the table references in the below example I hear all the text
read as a prompt.  If I include the table references I only hear the direct
instruction to enter a name.

What's the best way to code things so a screen reader will only read the
direct instruction?  Is my method acceptable?

<FORM METHOD="POST" ACTION="bogus-script">
An edit box is where you type information.
Please enter your name:
<INPUT TYPE="text" NAME="name">