RE: Seeking guidance...

Hmm. I think we are thinking the same thing and I am explaining it
badly. Here goes again...

In ordinary web pages of the early 90's almost the only thing that could be
active was links. They had one kind of behaviour - activate them and they go
somewhere else.

After a number of years we have discovered that on the web it is useful to be
able to seperate that into two pieces. As well as being able to activate
something (for example a link), we can focus on it, and when it gets the
focus (or mouseover - i.e. when it knows that we are looking directly at
it) it can highlight itself through some kind of active behaviour.

By activate, I do not mean triggering this highlighting behaviour, but
getting it to do something more - for example if it is a link, following
it. Of course there are elements that have a focus behaviour but nothing more
- by the definitions I am using these cannot be "activated".

(The terminology is from the DOM specification, which has a much better
effort to describe how to make this work properly for XML, including XHTML,
than the HTML 4 specification.)

cheers

Charles McCN