Re: Isn't onFocus REALLY onKeyboardFocus?

From: Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 09:59:03 -0400
To: Bruce Bailey <bbailey@clark.net>
CC: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org, wai-wcag-editor@w3.org
Bruce Bailey wrote:
> In light of recent discussions, this excerpt from the techniques document
> caught my eye:
> http://www.w3.org/TR/WAI-WEBCONTENT-TECHS/#device-ind-events
> Use application-level event triggers rather than user interaction-level
> triggers.  In HTML 4.0, application-level event attributes are "onfocus",
> "onblur" (the opposite of "onfocus"), and "onselect".  Note that these
> attributes are designed to be device-independent, but are implemented as
> keyboard specific events in current browsers.
> >From recent discussions, am I correct to understand that the last sentence
> above is a LIE?  That, in fact, PER THE FORMAL 4.01 SPECIFICATIONS, onFocus
> is DEFINED to be keyboard specific?

From section 18.2.3 of HTML 4.01 [1]:

  "The onfocus event occurs when an element receives focus either by the
   pointing device or by tabbing navigation."

I don't believe that "tabbing navigation" is required to be accomplished
any particular device such as the keyboard. Thus, the quote from WCAG
seems correct to me. Have I missed something?

 - Ian

>  And that MSIE 4+ (for example) handling
> of onFocus is perfectly in keeping with the specifications?
> There is also the problem that the formal specifications allows the use of
> onMouseOver MUCH more liberally than onFocus...
> This might belong on the GL or ER list.

Tel:                         +1 831 457-2842
Cell:                        +1 917 450-8783