Re: The world's first HTML 4.0 compliant browser?

From: Gregory J. Rosmaita <unagi69@concentric.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2000 01:56:34 -0400
To: webmaster@dors.sailorsite.net
aloha, bruce!

you wrote, quote
I took a fairly casual glance at the W3C CSS "test suite" at URL:
http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/Test/ and more specifically
URL:http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/Test/current/sec03.htm which implies that
CSS1 is supported, but CSS2 is not.  I don't know which are the more
troublesome portions of CSS1.

have you taken a look at

to me, personally, the 3 most important things about CSS2 are:

1. the cascade order, in which the user gets to claim !important, which is
tantamount to having final say over presentation...  this endows users with
a means to (a) ensure uniformity in the presentation of content, and/or (b)
override author defined styles that make the document illegible to that
particular user;

2. the inclusion (mainstreaming?) of the @media aural rules as part of the

3. and pseudo-elements
about which the User Agent Guidelines Techniques document has a lot to say

of course, that's only one blind man's point of view...

the positioning features of CSS2, while intrinsically interesting, are very
poorly supported...  however, i believe opera is working on (full?)
conformance to the CSS2 recommendation
by the public release of version 4

He that lives on Hope, dies farting
      -- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, 1763
Gregory J. Rosmaita <unagi69@concentric.net>
    WebMaster and Minister of Propaganda, VICUG NYC