how copy-writable is code?

... this comes from The advanced html digest and is complete
withquestion and response url...

Date:    Wed, 22 Dec 1999 19:56:15 -0600
From:    Gavin Cope <gavin@bit.net.au>
Subject: SUMMARY: How copyrightable is code?

This question has probably given me the most interesting set of
I've ever received from this list. Most of the responses are quite
lengthy
and instead of delivering a huge summary via this Ezine, I've decided to
make it available on the web so if you're interested in reviewing the
information, just point your browser to
http://www.bit.net.au/~gavin/adv-html/copyright.html
I'd recommend anyone that designs web sites have a read of this one.

If you can't remember my question, here it is:
<SNIP>
 >I was just pondering as to how copyrightable is web site code.
Graphics,
for example, are copyrightable if you make them, the total layout of a
web
site I am assuming is covered under the same sort of laws,
but what about
individual code?
 >If I download a JavaScript for example and there is a comment in it
saying
Copyright John Smith blah blah blah. How legally binding is that?
 >Or another example, the code on http://popup.jscentral.com/ is
generated
by a program this guy has made, but all it does (to my knowledge) is
generate DHTML code. How copyrightable is that code? (Please note, not
for
a second am I suggesting anyone rip this guy off for his brilliant
coding).
If I can use an analogy, if I make a web site in a shareware version of
HomeSite, that does not mean that the code belongs to Allaire so if I
make
a DHTML menu using this other software, how is it still copyrightable to
the author of the software?
 >I'm sure all the professionals, at least, on this list have had chunks
of
sites, or even entire sites ripped off, so does anyone know where we
stand
when this soft of thing happens?
</SNIP>
Gavin Cope
Web Developer
Email: gavin@bit.net.au
Web: http://www.bit.net.au/
Phone: +61 7 3252 1600
Fax: +61 7 3252 1900
Mobile: 0407 763 110
ICQ: 115974

Brisbane Internet Technology, an Asia Online Company