Re: Another Mainstream Article on Accessibility

From: Kathleen Anderson <kathleen.anderson@po.state.ct.us>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 13:56:37 -0500
To: "David Poehlman" <poehlman@clark.net>, <webmaster@dors.sailorsite.net>
Cc: "'Web Accessibility Initiative'" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
To Bruce and David and my other WAI friends:

I was contacted by Civic.com and asked to write an opinion piece on web site
accessibility for state and local government information technology
managers.  I was not asked to do a  'how-to' article or provide a list of
resources or organizations.  There are many things I left out; unfortunately
I was limited to 700 words - I could have written enough to fill the entire
issue! I was not told to leave them out - there just wasn't enough room.  I
am very aware of AWARE and the other resources and organizations that Bruce
mentioned; in fact, I am taking "Designing for Universal Accessibility with
HTML 4.0"   http://www.hwg.org/services/classes/d201.8.html   with Kynn
Bartlett right now and having a wonderful time - I highly recommend the
course.

If Connecticut 'comes in second' behind Maryland or any other state, that's
still not a bad place to be, IMHO. And Yes, I would love to hear from those
working to make their states and local municipal webs accessible.

Have a good holiday and a safe Y2K!

Kathleen Anderson, Webmaster
State of Connecticut
Office of the State Comptroller
55 Elm Street, Room 101
Hartford, Connecticut  06106
voice: (860) 702-3355  fax: (860) 702-3634
email: kathleen.anderson@po.state.ct.us
CMAC Access: http://www.cmac.state.ct.us/access