RE: Undue Burden and AOL

From: Waddell, Cynthia <cynthia.waddell@ci.sj.ca.us>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 15:44:30 -0800
To: "'Leonard R. Kasday'" <kasday@acm.org>, "Waddell, Cynthia" <cynthia.waddell@ci.sj.ca.us>, "'Kynn Bartlett'" <kynn-hwg@idyllmtn.com>, David Poehlman <poehlman@clark.net>
Yes.

Cynthia D. Waddell

ADA Coordinator
City Manager Department
City of San Jose, CA USA
801 North First Street, Room 460
San Jose, CA  95110-1704
(408)277-4034
(408)971-0134 TTY
(408)277-3885 FAX
http://www.rit.edu/~easi/webcast/cynthia.htm
http://www.aasa.dshs.wa.gov/access/waddell.htm

-----Original Message-----
From: Leonard R. Kasday [mailto:kasday@acm.org]
Sent: Friday, November 19, 1999 3:03 PM
To: Waddell, Cynthia; 'Kynn Bartlett'; David Poehlman
Subject: RE: Undue Burden and AOL

Let me see if I understand Cynthia's comments on Kynn's opinion that

>As a businessman, sure, I'd like to have my website reach everyone.
>But if it costs me $10,000 to create the site, but would cost me
>an extra $50,000 to make sure it's available to deaf users (because
>I have multiple multimedia files that need synchronized captioning),
>I'm not going to pay 500% more just so that a very small audience
>(perhaps 1%) can access it.

If we're talking about a small business with total profits of $30,000 a
year, so that spending the extra 50,000 would bankrupt the company, then as
I understand it it's undue burden.

However, if we're talking about a company with profits in the Billions per
year, and this is merely an annual expense, it's no longer an undue burden,
right?

Len
-------
Leonard R. Kasday, Ph.D.
Institute on Disabilities/UAP, and
Department of Electrical Engineering

Temple University
423 Ritter Annex, Philadelphia, PA 19122
kasday@acm.org

(215) 204-2247 (voice)
(800) 750-7428 (TTY)