RE: Undue Burden and AOL

From: Leonard R. Kasday <kasday@acm.org>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 18:02:51 -0500
To: "Waddell, Cynthia" <cynthia.waddell@ci.sj.ca.us>, "'Kynn Bartlett'" <kynn-hwg@idyllmtn.com>, David Poehlman <poehlman@clark.net>
Let me see if I understand Cynthia's comments on Kynn's opinion that

>As a businessman, sure, I'd like to have my website reach everyone.
>But if it costs me $10,000 to create the site, but would cost me
>an extra $50,000 to make sure it's available to deaf users (because
>I have multiple multimedia files that need synchronized captioning),
>I'm not going to pay 500% more just so that a very small audience
>(perhaps 1%) can access it.

If we're talking about a small business with total profits of $30,000 a
year, so that spending the extra 50,000 would bankrupt the company, then as
I understand it it's undue burden.

However, if we're talking about a company with profits in the Billions per
year, and this is merely an annual expense, it's no longer an undue burden,
right?

Len
-------
Leonard R. Kasday, Ph.D.
Institute on Disabilities/UAP, and
Department of Electrical Engineering

Temple University
423 Ritter Annex, Philadelphia, PA 19122
kasday@acm.org

(215) 204-2247 (voice)
(800) 750-7428 (TTY)