Re: HTML Writers Guild sets accessibility requirements for Guild pages, co-branding partners

At 04:55 PM 11/14/1999 , Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
>congratulations to you and the board. On the one hand this seems like a
>logical step by the HWG given its involvement in W3C working groups (WAI and
>non-WAI groups), but making a public announcement of it is bound to help the
>wider community understanding of accessiblity as a basic technical issue.

Charles, that's my thinking exactly.  The Guild has a membership of
more than 107,000 web designers world-wide (and if you're not a member,
join now! -- trial membership is free), and as such we are one of the
largest organizations that is _actively addressing_ web accessibility.

In short, we want to make it known without a shadow of a doubt that we
consider this to be important, by putting our money where our mouths
are (and this may cost us some partnerships!) and making a strong
statement about the importance.

We've always (as an organization and on the Board) supported accessibility;
this just makes it "official" and public, and hopefully can serve as a
model for _other_ organizations and businesses to get them looking at
their own accessibility policies.

I believe in throwing the Guild's weight around for a good cause. :)