RE: Single Browser Intranets

From: John O'Rourke <jorourke@cqi.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 00:17:50 -0400
To: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Hi All,

This is a practical and interesting thread.  About two years ago,
I was involved in software support among other things for a
real-estate information services company serving the Mid-Atlantic
area.  At that time they were moving their customers to Intranet
for some activities.  This was to supplement a poorly designed
Windows and Oracle database.  The Windows 3.1/95 bridge was so
poorly designed it was in function an Alpha.  They made the
decision to support Internet Explorer.  They supported a single
browser.  When you have realtors asking questions such as "what's
a browser?"  Questions of that nature it in part vindicated their
decision.  In that environment multiple browsers would have been a
disaster.  Accessibility?  Are you kidding?  This environment is
not out of the ordinary in some professions.  You have to limit
browser support since your help desk are graduates of Computer
Learning Centers.  It hasn't changed to my knowledge.  Remembering
that position forces me to smile through the pain.

John O'Rourke